Friday, December 2, 2011

Paper Chain Garland


I know that every one in the world who ever went through Kindergarten has made a paper chain.  To me, they signify Christmas in a house that any child between 4-10 lives.  As I write this I am looking at the chain I made with my sons and I can't help but smile.  I think about the Christmas movie playing in the background (I'm pretty sure it was "The Year Without A Santa Claus") and the questions my oldest son would ask as he drew pictures of bugs and imaginary friends on his strips of paper.  It will be an indelible memory set in my mind by the magic of the Season.  I have been waiting for 4 years for the year that I could make Christmas decorations with my children.  I find that it was definitely worth the wait.

So how do you make a paper chain?  I know you only ask to be nice.  So I will reward your kindness with an answer.


First you pick out your choice colors of construction paper.  You don't have to stick with red, green, and white.  These are just my choice colors.  The beauty of the paper chain is that it is festive in all of it's many manifestations.


Second, you fold the paper (three at a time) in half width wise (landscape, for all of you artists our there), and you cut.


Third, you fold the paper, accordion style, in thirds.  You can fold it in fourths if you desire, I chose thirds for artistic reasons.


...and you cut.


Remove the white strips.  Here comes the artistic reasoning behind my previous decision.


Have your children color the white strips however they would choose.  I told my sons the more color the better.


Even my two year old got into the coloring.


When you are ready to assemble "fold" a strip in to a ring and staple it.  Then string another strip through the ring and staple that one too.  Continue until your chain reaches your desired length.


Lastly, find the perfect location and hang your creation for all the world to see (or at least those that you invite into your home).   

No comments:

Post a Comment